Data released today has shown the continuing global reach of the fur farming industry – with mink, fox, sable and chinchilla being produced worldwide to meet the growing demand from fashion and interiors brands.
In 2013-14, 87.2 million mink pelts were produced globally with a total value of €3.7bn*. There were also 7.78m fox pelts with a value of more than €880m*. The highest value skins come from the key auction houses based in Denmark, Finland, the US, Canada and Russia.
The data comes from the International Fur Federation (IFF), the global trade body for the fur industry. It highlights the increasing size and value of the fur trade, providing employment to over one million people worldwide.
It also reveals how many different countries are involved in producing the various types of fur in use worldwide. Argentina and Brazil alone contribute 42% of global chinchilla farming, while the other 58% comes from European countries such as Denmark, Hungary and Romania. In addition, China and Finland were together responsible for 91% of the nearly 7.8m fox furs produced globally in 2014.
China also produced 35 million mink pelts in 2014, with another 1.9 million coming from Russia. The US and Canada together produced 7.5m mink pelts worth €325m*.
Data from Russian auction house Sojuzpushnina further shows that in 2013-14 Russia accounted for 2.6m pelts from mink, sable, fox and ferret.
There was also significant wild trapping in North America, with more than 30 types of fur produced by wild trappers from abundant animal populations across the US and Canada, further demonstrating the industry’s commitment to sustainable use.
Mark Oaten, CEO of IFF, said: “Fur is a global powerhouse industry, providing jobs and economic stability to people across the world. Fur farmers put welfare at the top of their agenda not just because it’s the right thing to do but also because healthy animals provide the best quality skins.. This is why the IFF continues to drive the highest welfare standards among fur farms worldwide.
“Fur is also increasingly popular on catwalks and on high streets globally, with modern techniques allowing designers to colour and design fur in exciting new ways and create garments suitable for any time of year. It’s not just for heavy winter coats anymore.
“It’s not for everyone, and that’s their choice. But for those who enjoy and appreciate it, this new research highlights that the industry is going from strength to strength.”
* Estimated value derived by multiplying annual production by average price per pelt
YUSUF KALEM FROM TURKEY TAKES HOME THE REMIX GOLD PRIZE
Revised selling dates for September 2015 auction
You may also like
- 25 MarNews
Saturday night brought Danish fur fashion to Drakes Instagram account. The Canadian rapper ...
- 31 JanAuctions
Up to 3.0% Purchase Incentive on Hammer Price NAFA is pleased to announce a major ...
- 26 MarFashion
This year Yusuf Kalem // Turkey was awarded the Gold prize. Yusuf wowed the jury with three looks inspired ...