In addition to a climate-controlled storage facility, a reputable furrier will provide other services when you drop off your furs for summer storage. A furrier will examine your items carefully for any necessary repairs. Loose linings should be sewn and worn fastenings replaced. Most important, your items should be conditioned at this time. Dirt and destructive pollutants are removed during the conditioning process while the leather sides of the items are revitalised by restoring necessary oils. This process will not shrink, discolour or change the shape of the fur. After conditioning, the fur is then glazed – a process that restores the sheen and lustre and results in shinier and softer fur.
- Always store your fur during warm weather and with your furrier – never at a dry cleaner. Your furrier is equipped with temperature, humidity and light-controlled storage facilities.
- Have fur cleaned annually by a fur specialist, definitely not a dry cleaner.
- Never attempt to mothproof your fur yourself. Home treatments are no substitute for professional cleaning and storage.
- Avoid leaving a fur hanging in a bright space. The light can cause the fur to oxidize or change colour.
- Always hang your fur on a broad-shouldered hanger, never on a wire hanger. Give your fur room in the cupboard so that it is not crushed.
- Never hang your fur in a plastic bag or rubber-lined bag. Plastic prevents air from circulating and can dry out the leather. When travelling, store your fur in a cloth garment bag provided by your furrier.
- If your fur gets wet, shake it out and hang it to dry in a well-ventilated room. Keep it away from direct heat or a radiator, which can cause both fur and leather to dry out. After it is dry, shake it again. Most furs will take some rain and snow far better than a wool or other winter coat will. If the fur is soaked through, however, take it immediately to your fur retailer for proper treatment. Never comb or brush the fur.
- Never pin jewellery on your fur. Do not use shoulder straps or a handbag on a consistent basis.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray onto your fur.
- Have small rips or tears repaired immediately by your furrier. This will prevent more expensive repairs later.
You may also like
- 26 JanAuctions
INSPECTION: January 25 – 28, 2016 SALES: January 29 -30, 2016 The preliminary sales program ...
- 20 MarAuctions
Top Lots of Saga Lumi Royal Mink and Fox had their debut at Saga Furs ...
- 17 FebAuctions
NAFA is pleased to announce that 2.1 Million of the world’s best quality Mutation Mink ...