- Always store your fur garments in cold storage when you are done wearing them for the season or not using them. An Authorized Furcare SpecialistSM is equipped with temperature, humidity, and light-controlled storage facilities to protect your fur, keeping it from drying out, oxidizing and prematurely aging your garment.
- Have your fur cleaned annually by an Authorized Furcare Specialist, never a dry cleaner. Your fur may not look dirty but it is important to remove small abrasive dirt particles and chemicals and keep it soft.
- Have small rips or tears repaired immediately by your Authorized Furcare Specialist. This will prevent more expensive repairs later.
- Always hang your fur on a broad-shoulder hanger, never a wire hanger. Allow enough space so that your fur is not crushed.
- Never hang your fur in bags of any type. Plastic or rubber-lined bags prevent air from circulating, which can dry out the leather. Bags (even cloth bags) can also cause wear and broken hairs over time where the bag rests against the fur.
- Do not store your fur in a cedar closet. Cedar wood absorbs moisture which can dry your fur out. And cedar closets do not protect from dust, dirt, and insect damage.
- Do not store your fur with moth balls. Moth balls react with moisture in the air to produce a gas that acts as fumigant. This chemical reaction can cause irreparable damage to your fur (not to mention a lingering odor).
- Avoid spraying perfume, hairspray or other chemicals on your fur. The alcohol content in these products will dry the leather and stiffen the guard hairs.
- If your fur gets wet shake it out and hang it to dry in a well-ventilated room. Avoid direct heat or radiators, which can damage both fur and leather. If your fur is soaked through take it immediately to your Authorized Furcare Specialist for proper treatment.
- One of the beauties of fur is that it can be repaired or remodeled. Your Authorized Furcare Specialist can find matching fur and make any repairs – or they can help you remodel it into fresh, new fashion.
Enjoy wearing your fur!
For more information or to find an Authorized Furcare Specialist near you please visitwww.FurCare.org.
You may also like
- 02 AprAuctions
Kopenhagen Fur is pleased to announce the preliminary sales programme for the April auction which ...